Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Chicken and White Bean Chili, or I love my new gas stove

So as you may know, we moved recently - we bought our first home (and, honestly, I hope our last home - moving sucks and the whole homebuying process is so long and frustrating that I never want to do it again).  I love this house, and it has lots of features I like about it, but one that is relevant here is the kitchen.  The previous owner owns a restaurant (the Spring Street Cafe in West Roxbury - apparently they've let their website domain lapse, so no link for you!) and as you can imagine, a restaurant owner's kitchen is going to be pretty nice.  One of its features?  A gas stove.  Now, I've been hearing my mom wish she had a gas stove for approximately my entire life, but I was a little wary - I just figured I'd start a fire or blow up the kitchen, or that I'd fill the house with fumes and give us brain damage.  Then again, shortly before moving out of our apartment, I managed to catch a potholder on fire with the electric stove, so clearly I don't need an open flame in order to be a danger to myself and others.

So instead of blowing the house up, I decided to make chili. White Bean and Chicken Chili, specifically.  Not a white chili, per se - this one has barbeque sauce in it, which gives it a darker hue - but let's say a beige chili.


It was delicious.  Definitely an improvement on a kitchen fire.  And as for the gas stove?  Well, it's as responsive as people say, although this one has idiosyncratic burners (one is definitely the "hot one," for instance - at the same notch on the knob, it's got a hotter flame than other burners) but that's just something you learn through using it.  It's way easier to clean, too.  It hasn't got fumes - just smells kind of like camping.  And one day, I am going to char something just directly over the flame.  I'm looking forward to it.

So if you're thinking about burning your kitchen down, may I propose an alternative?  Make this White Bean and Chicken Chili instead!  WAY better.

No comments:

Post a Comment