Friday, June 22, 2012

Danny Faces Bastard Hipster Zombies For A Burger


After walking around Brooklyn for a couple hours on a sunny Sunday, my girlfriend Kris and I were getting tired. We required beer, some good food, and a place to sit down. Realizing our present location was not offering us anything helpful, we hailed a cab and headed to Williamsburg. I suggested we go to Spike Hill on Bedford Avenue because I knew they had a decently priced beer selection and a tasty burger. To our surprise, when we got there, the whole neighborhood had been taken over by zombies.

Two ladies in summer dresses ran to our left being chased by a lifebuoy dragging zombie with a plastic toy shovel protruding from his chest. Several female zombies swarmed a convertible despite the protests of the driver. Several yards behind the convertible, a zombie clown was on the hood of a white Nissan Altima, covering it in blood.


So I paid the driver, and we hopped out of the cab. Even if the zombies did get him, I didn’t want jipping the cab driver on my conscience. A wall of bastard hipster zombies stood between us and the entrance of Spike Hill. I grabbed Kris’ hand and led her through the mob as if I was a pro-football linebacker. We made it into the restaurant and forced our way to a booth in the back.

Once safely seated, we ordered a couple of brews (a Dogfish 60 minute for me and a Bass ale for Kris), as well as a fruit and cheese plate to start. We nibbled on slices of pear and apple paired with cheddar or swiss. Kris dabbled with the gorgonzola and the mini pickles. In my opinion, the cheddar and apple slices pairing with my Dogfish Head was a refreshing start to a meal after a hot day of walking around and dodging zombies.

For dinner Kris ordered a BLT sandwich with a salad. I got the ½ lb burger with cheddar and a side of fries. Though I am not much of a salad eater, I do appreciate it when a restaurant has a bangin’ house salad. Kris raved about the fresh ingredients and the large portion. Kris’ sandwich had the perfect balance of bacon, lettuce, and tomato on focaccia bread. The thick-cut Irish bacon was cooked perfectly, with the right amount of crunch. My burger was pretty good. Since I absolutely love cheeseburgers, there is really no way I could be disappointed. I am pickier about french fries, and shoestring are my least favorite, which is what they serve. So needless to say they sucked. Kris took them home so they didn’t go to waste. All in all a good meal.

Once we had settled the bill and left Spike Hill, the streets were clear of zombies. Word was that they had moved on to a bar a few blocks away. Various body parts, trash and what have you littered the street, but the danger had passed. Since we were danger free, Kris and I went for ice cream.


By Danny Melendez / Shakefist Magazine


Spike Hill Williamsburg

Location:
Spike Hill is located in the heart of Williamsburg Brooklyn at 184 & 186 Bedford Avenue. We are just a few steps away from the Bedford Avenue stop on the L train.

Hours:
We are open weekdays from 11:30am and from 11:00am on Saturday and Sunday. We serve lunch, dinner, late night and weekend brunch.

Contact Info:
Our phone number is (718) 218-9737
Our fax number is (718) 218-8172 
For general inquiries you can email us at info@spikehill.com


MassBytes: Sign Up For Our Newsletters

No comments:

Post a Comment