Friday, March 30, 2012

Summer Beers Make Me Feel Fine

I heard you New Englanders were blessed with unseasonably warm weather not so long ago. Here I am, stuck in the valley of the Rocky Mountains, with an unusually cold winter. In fact, we got more snow this year than the last 3 years combined (I picked the perfect year to move out of New England, apparently).

Hearing about your 80 degree March days made me think about my favorite summer beers. And, the one that always wins out is Allagash White. It’s one of the first craft beers I ever had. Suggested to me by one of the lovely waitresses at Sunset Grill & Tap in Allston shortly after I turned 21 and didn’t have a clue what to drink.

Brewed in Portland, ME, Allagash White has a low alcohol content (only 5%), so you can drink it from breakfast until you pass out at night on your couch (being awesome, obviously). This Witbier pours a cloudy lemon yellow with a white, thick foam head. It goes down smooth (that’s what she said) and refreshing. Allagash White has hints of banana, cloves, and fresh bread in its scent, and has a spicy aftertaste that cleanses the palate.

Allagash Brewing does a great job of listing food to pair with their beers on their website. Allagash White pairs well with a salad with vinaigrette dressing or fresh goat cheese, poultry and fish entrées, or a sweet and savory dessert (spicy apple pie, anyone?).

What are your favorite summer beers? Leave a comment below or tweet @LA786 and let me know.

- Written by LA

1 comment:

  1. There is a great list of beer for summer at http://www.summerbeerreview.com. We are working through them one by one. We need to add Allagash White.

    ReplyDelete