Thursday, June 7, 2012

Breakfast with Chestnut (by Sarah Sparks)

It was the morning after the El Pelon's Habanero Pepper Competition. I crashed in Chestnut's Mother's bedroom wearing her long cotton nightgown, similar to the one my aunt let me wear when I was a kid. Before bed I was promised brownies and a good breakfast. I fell asleep dreaming of the morning meal.

I don't know if Chestnut's Mom, Jan, ever slept, but when I woke there was a big batch of brownies waiting, and Chestnut was getting ready to prepare breakfast. With his music selection playing in the background, you could smell the garlic sauteing in the frying pan. He asked me to jump in and start toasting the bagel slices while he was getting ready to add the eggs to the garlic. He then added a new pan to the top of the stove. It had corned beef hash. Oh. My.




I have never seen anyone put garlic in scrambled eggs before, but I liked it. A lot. It was an interesting touch. I also loved the thinly sliced bagels. And how could you go wrong with corned beef hash. Man, I want this again now.

I left with a full belly and bagful of brownies to snack on throughout my day. Thank you to Chestnut and his mom for showing this city girl some good ol' fashioned hospitality.


http://theswaggeringrowlers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment