Monday, February 13, 2012

Food on the Road - Tour Day 10 - Fort Lauderdale to Lake Worth, FL

Day 10 was a day off for us. We had stayed the night with our frontman's brother, in an apartment in Fort Lauderdale, FL. The night before I at least had at least gotten pretty drunk or whatever, so I was ok with being pretty lazy during the day. Our plan was to chill, maybe eat, and then a very short drive - under an hour - to Lake Worth, FL, where a band called Everymen was playing a show. We had heard of Everymen, and had even tried to get them on as the support act on our Miami show, but they already had this show booked and couldn't do it. But they offered to guest list us into their show. Since everything in South Florida seems to start and end later, we had plenty of time in Fort Lauderdale to order 4 pies from Domino's. We got a pepperoni/sausage, a Philly steak/onion, a green pepper and 1/2 mushroom, 1/2 onion, and a pineapple/bacon. The 6 of us devoured those pizzas in about 30 minutes. It was everything we hoped it could be. I don't often order pizza from large chains, but I do have to give Domino's some credit for taking feedback from customers and improving their overall product a couple of years ago from trash to something I enjoy eating now and again.

We finally got motivated and took the short ride over to Lake Worth. The club was cool, we got our free wristbands and Joker cards for a free shot at the bar, but I just wasn't into the night. I took a walk, found a public beach on the ocean, punched my internal reset button, and rejoined the group with a huge smile on my face. We retired to the house of our host for the night, was granted a bowl, a spoon, and access to the microwave. I ended the night with another one of my Indian food MREs. This time is was Muttar Paneer:
spiced green peas and cottage cheese and gravy, with a piece of onion nan on the side. Again, the MRE took great care of me. Some writing and I was off to sleep.




**********

Chestnut Growler plays drums for The Swaggerin' Growlers, a punk/folk band based in Boston, MA. He tours full time. This blog is about the food experienced on the road: the good, the bad, and homemade and the gas station sammiches. You can find the band here: The Swaggerin' Growlers


No comments:

Post a Comment