Monday, December 24, 2012

Chorizo Bolognese Pasta Sauce: cultural differences

As you might know, I'm not from here.  I've lived in Boston the past 8 years (and one year when I was a child), but I'm from Vancouver.  Naturally, there are going to be some differences in terms of what food is like, what is common and uncommon, and even what different foods are called.  Some of this is going to be due to the Canada-vs-US difference, and some is going to be an east-west thing - for instance, in Vancouver, General Whoever's chicken - the Chinese-restaurant staple? I said "Whoever" because the name seems to change from region to region - is totally unknown.  But I didn't encounter that here first, but in Montreal when I lived there in college.  So I think that's an east-west difference.  After all, our population in Vancouver includes a high proportion of people who have come from China, so what we see there Chinese-food-wise tends to reflect the tastes of actual Chinese people (I had never even heard of Crab Rangoons - which make no sense since they have cream cheese in them, which is not exactly a staple of Chinese cuisine, AND they're named for the capital of Burma - until I moved to Boston).

Some other things are in common between here and there, but different from other parts of the world.  For instance, I bet you, like me, don't have a particular name for spaghetti sauce.  It's... spaghetti sauce. If there's meat in it, it's meat sauce.  And I'm even quote-unquote Italian!  But in England, perhaps because of their relative proximity to Italy, they call it by its real name - bolognese.  I got this recipe from an English food blog, so Chorizo Bolognese it is!


But this has regional ties over here, too.  While it might be Italian food from an English blog, it's got chorizo in it, which of course is featured in Portuguese cooking and of course there's a sizeable Portuguese community here in Massachusetts.  Boom!  I bring it around.

Want to bring this around... your kitchen table?  Ooh.  I did that.  Yeah.  So anyway, chorizo is fantastic in everything, and if you haven't been putting it in your pasta sauce, as I hadn't been, kick yourself for not thinking of this sooner and make it for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment