Monday, November 26, 2012

Chai Bars: "Friendsgivings"

Surely you've heard of it.  Perhaps you even participate in one.  I'm talking about the event known as "Friendsgiving."  Necessity, or maybe loneliness, was the mother of invention in this case: people who couldn't get home to celebrate Thanksgiving with their family, or maybe people for whom their family was unpleasant or gone, but who still wanted the warmth of a big family meal at this particularly emotionally fraught time of year.  So they got a bunch of friends together and did Thanksgiving that way!

Now, that is not exactly what I made these unbelievable Chai Bars for.  I went to regular Thanksgiving with my husband's family (in fact, I'm eating leftover mashed potatoes as I write this!). But my work has had a tradition, which was not observed the last 2 years, of having "work Thanksgiving" - after all, my company's name even has "giving" right in it! - and I'm fortunate to work amongst some great cooks (only one of whom used to do it for a living), so obviously it was a delicious feast and we all went up a pants size.


What I brought were these Chai Bars, which bring all the warm, seasonal flavours of chai (which, hang on, people drink chai all year round, seasonal what?) to a fine-crumbed, slightly sweet bar.  I wish I had taken the leftovers home; I would have demolished the entire pan myself.  Or maybe that means I don't wish I'd taken them home!

No comments:

Post a Comment