Monday, September 3, 2012

"Doubletree" Cookies... of fate

As you may have deduced, I am involved in the US Air Guitar world a little bit.  I myself don't compete - yet! - but my husband, Captain Airhab, does, and that means that we go to the US national finals every year and get to see all our air guitar friends from around the country.  It's a lot like summer camp, because we see most of these people only for a few days each year, in a place where most of us don't live, and we have adventures and basically run riot over the place and then go home and have memories for the rest of the year.

This year, it was in Denver (it's somewhere different every year), and we had made plans to split a hotel room with another competitor, Chicago's own Rocky Rhoads.  I was working on booking the room.  Originally, I had us staying at a Doubletree hotel.  I don't know if you've already experienced this, but Doubletrees give you a free cookie when you check in.  Sold, right?  I mean, yes please.  But it turned out to be kind of far away, and the closer place we found (which still wasn't the Ramada Rockmada, where everyone else was staying, dammit) was NOT a Doubletree.  Sayonara, cookies.  My next step should be obvious.  You can't essentially promise someone cookies and then yank the cookie rug out from under them.  So I was all set to make cookies.  I'm looking through my recipes and what do I see but a recipe for the Doubletree hotel chain's very cookies!  Clearly, I had to make these cookies!  It was fate!  It was destiny!  It was... delicious!


As I point out in the blog post, these probably bear little resemblance to the actual cookies handed out at Doubletree hotels.  But, as I also pointed out, they were still a huge success, considering that two-time US and world champion Hot Lixx Hulahan (that's an old picture of him on the trading card and it doesn't really look like him, I'd say) couldn't get enough of them!  You know your cookies are a success when a legend loves them!

So, do you want to impress a legend in your life?  Do you just want to rip off a hotel chain's cookie recipe?  Either way, now you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment