Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Interlude Part Deux - leftover bbq breakfast

Yes, I had my munchie induced, munchie inducing bbq night snack just a matter of hours ago, but I'm much more of a napper than a sleeper, and I'm up and hungry again already. So, I'm following through on the idea mentioned last night - cheeseburger omelet (or cheeseburger egg scramble if I don't manage to keep it all pretty - we'll see). This will be a simple preparation - leftover cheseburger from the Interlude 1 bbq, a couple of eggs, a splash of milk, and hopefully a little finesse with the spatula. Wish me luck! Here is my prep table...



I'm sure I'm not the only person around who has a strong emotional connection with some foods. If I was the only one, the term "comfort food" wouldn't even exist. Omelets are one of those foods for me. When I was a kid, my dad loved to cook breakfast on weekends, and he was especially proud of his omelets. I remember standing on a kitchen chair by the stove on Sunday morning, with my dad explaining how you had to beat the eggs just so to get enough air folded in to make them light and fluffy. He told me all about how you had to have the pan at just the right temperature so that the omelet stayed delicate and didn't burn but fully cooked so that the cheese was the only gooey thing. These are special memories for me - I didn't have my father in my life for about a decade starting when I was 15, and during those lonely times, it was sometimes food that I remembered sharing with him or making with him that reminded me of some of the best times of my childhood. I know, pretty deep for breakfast time, huh? But it is what it is. If you have kids, cook with them. The time spent together teaching, sharing a learning experience, is incomparable.

Anyway, back to my prep. I have decided to also pull a couple of the leftover fixings from the burgers the other night into the mix here, too, so I am adding chopped onions (sauteed) and some fresh tomato cubes to the mix. So, the final product wasn't the prettest omelet I've ever made, but it was passible. And the taste? Friggin' awesome! I only added the tomatoes at the last possible second before folding and plating the omelet, so when I bit into it, they still had their fresh texture and lightened the entire meal. The meat and onions blended perfectly and the cheese held everything together with the tang of colby jack. Hell yeah!





No comments:

Post a Comment