Monday, February 25, 2013

Chorizo and Cannellini Bean Skillet: the joys of cast iron

Let's just start off by pointing out that this Chorizo and Cannellini Bean Skillet is one of my favourite things I've ever made.  I've never made a top 5 list or what have you, but if I did, this would be on it.

Well and good.  Now, on to talking about cast-iron.  This dish requires a big pan, and my big pan is my 12" cast-iron skillet, which I got as a wedding present (so I suppose I should say we got it) and have been using nonstop since.  It's not just useful for clonking people over the head with in the comics! You can cook in it on the stove as well as throw it in the oven, and its nearly 5 years of seasoning mean that it's rare that something should stick to it.  The key, as every cast-iron-pan-owner knows, is not to ever wash it with soap.  You can rinse it out with hot water and knock any bits of food off, obviously, we're not trying to get food poisoning here, but we're also trying to lock in vital oils and residues into the iron surface.  You might think this would always make one dish have the flavour of the one before, but that's not really the case - although your more old-school chefs would insist that this not only occurs but is vital to the taste of anything they cook in the pan!


Also, I'm going to get back into the whole music-with-food thing and, since I skipped a week last week, I'm going to offer you two songs today.
First, since this is a Spanish dish, my obvious choice is The Only Band That Matters, the Clash, and Spanish Bombs: Spanish Bombs by Clash on Grooveshark Second, because this is MassBytes and here in Massachusetts chorizo means Portuguese food, here is a song about a Portuguese-accented part of the state: Ishmael, by Money Fight - you'll recognize the singer as Dug, who now sings in my husband's band, HookerClops.  Oh, small world of local musicians!

Ok, now that you have been thoroughly rocked, isn't it about time to make this Chorizo and Cannellini Bean Skillet?

No comments:

Post a Comment