Monday, September 10, 2012

"Sobaghetti" and Meatballs; on reinterpreting the classics

Spaghetti and meatballs. What could be more classic, right?  The prototypical Italian-American dish, everybody loves it, yadda yadda yadda.  And nothing's wrong with that!  Making a great Italian-style meatball and some killer red sauce and throwing it on some spaghetti is not just delicious but also proof that a person can cook.  So don't take this dish in the wrong way.  I didn't make all these changes because I don't love the original - I do!  I just wanted to take a different tack to the original, and this sounded like a great way to do it.

Therefore, I present to you: Sobaghetti and Meatballs!  It's basically spinning the globe on spaghetti and meatballs - the pasta is soba noodles, the sauce is soy-sauce-based, and the meatballs are pork and have green onions, sesame seeds, and panko in them.  And it is SO GOOD.  So good!


The meatballs are pretty great on their own - if you make extra, I could see putting them in a sandwich, but rather than doing the whole meatball sub thing, use mini baguettes, slivered carrot, radish, cilantro if that's your deal, and chili sauce (such as Sriracha), so basically a banh mi without the pate.  I haven't even eaten it and it already sounds good to me!

So why not take your spaghetti and meatballs on a little trip to East Asia (side note: it bugs me when people say "Asia" when they just mean China or Japan.  It's a big continent, people!) and make this dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment