Thursday, March 8, 2012

Give Me Beer Or Give Me Death




If there’s one thing people know about me, it’s that I have no problem when it comes to throwing anything tasty down my gullet (that’s what she said), and that is especially true when it comes to a delicious, unique craft brew.

Since I’ve been sequestered to, what is essentially the craft beer capital of the U.S., the gorgeous, mountainous state of Colorado, home to over 150 established craft breweries and dozens more in various start up phases, I’ve been privy to some delicious craft brews.

But I’m a New England girl, through and through, and while my taste palate, and belly have been satisfied by a number of one-of-a-kind mountain brews, my heart aches for even a sip of one of my favorite beers to come out of New England: Squam Brewing Company’s Golden IPA.

First a little back story about Squam. Owned and operated by beer brewing prodigy, John Glidden. He’s got a one barrel brewing system, and rumor has it, he not only brews and bottles the beer himself, he also hand delivers each batch to packies in the greater lakes region of NH. And trust me, a drive to snatch up a bottle of any one of his brews, is worth it. So go get in your damn car.

The Golden IPA pours a little cloudy, and settles to a light golden color than you’d expect from an IPA, it’s full of hoppy flavor, without the usual, and occasionally, overpowering bite at the end. In fact, there’s even a hint of a citrus, and kind of a pine-y, flavor as it washes over your tongue. It’s a slightly stronger beer at 8.5% ABV.

Squam’s Golden IPA pairs well with a hearty meal. Stock up on some for your first nice weather BBQ’s and cookouts, and your guests will be happy, full, and potentially couch crashing in your living room, depending on how much beer and meat you’ve “forced” upon them (although, I’m pretty sure there’s no such thing as forcing meat or beer on anyone, I will become drunk on either any day of the week).

- Written by LA

No comments:

Post a Comment