Friday, June 29, 2012

Matt Stonie: A Megatoad In The Competitive Eating Majors (by Sarah Sparks)

After witnessing two writers for MassBytes tackle food challenges in Boston, I started getting interested in competitive eating. On Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, Matt “Megatoad” Stonie finished first in the Phantom Gourmet’s Hot Dog Competition by eating 42 hot dogs in ten minutes. This happy 19-year old champion was cool enough to chat with me about his early career and teach me what competitive eating is all about.

 


SS: Why are you named Megatoad?

Megatoad: Umm (laughs). Well, it was kind of one of those things that just randomly came upon me when I was considering joining the league. You’re aware of that Mario Brothers character Toad? Yes?

SS: I love Mario Brothers. I kind of had a girl crush on Princess Peach.


Megatoad: (laughs) Mario Brothers definitely had a place in a lot of people's childhoods.


SS: Yes, I think I will save my thoughts of the Princess and Mario for another time. So Toad? 

Megatoad: Well, that’s initially where the name came from. I've always liked that character, and it just kind of rang to me (laughing again). Kind of childish but I think it’s just kind of fun.

SS: You have the name and you are ready to join a league. Could you tell me about the league?

Megatoad: The league is MLE, or Major League Eating. They are the organization that holds the Nathan's Famous 4th of July Hot Dog eating contest and tons of contests nationally and internationally. As of right now they are considered the only major organizer of Competitive Eating events. There are other leagues out there, but they are in, no offence, "second rate."

SS: Why did you even consider joining?

Megatoad: Well, at first I didn't join because it’s like the choice between jumping from the JV team to the Varsity team. Joining the League means you’re going to be competing with the best, which comes with losing. When I was doing my own thing, I won every contest I attended. I started out by just doing a 5 pound burrito near my house for fun. Then one summer I decided to sign up for a lobster roll eating contest five minutes away from my house, and unexpectedly, I ended up beating a professional eater and coming in first place. From that I knew I was decent at it, and of course the money incentive never hurt (laughs). Now that I've joined the league, I haven’t won a single contest, yet I’m almost twice as good. I've always been the competitive type, and the thrill of competition is why I love this. Winning is nice, but secondary to enjoying the competition.

SS: Yet you still come in at number 6 in the league rankings. That is pretty impressive. How many people are in the league?

Megatoad: I'm not actually sure of an official number. They only do rankings up to 50.

SS: That is still amazing. How many competitions have you participated in the big leagues?

CP Biggest Eater Competition
Megatoad: Fifteen, including three Nathan’s qualifiers and two exhibitions.

SS: Which was the hardest?

Megatoad: Hardest as in competition or hardest as in difficult food?

SS: Let’s start with difficult food.

Megatoad: Definitely hot dogs. To start out I really never liked hot dogs, so once I joined the league I knew I would have to start on them. I wasn't too enthusiastic.

SS: That’s funny. I bet in a few years you will never want to see another hot dog again. Now what is the hardest competition you have done to this date?

Megatoad: Well, actually, now that I think about it, it also would be the Nathans Hot Dog event (laughing). Just because, it is the superbowl of competitive eating. All the best eaters in the world show up and everybody gives it their all.

SS: How do you even prepare for an event like this?

Megatoad: You gotta eat hot dogs! (laughs) But yeah, seriously, the only real way to really prepare for a contest is to become familiar with the food mentally and physically. There are 'general training' things you can do, such as stretch your stomach out, but nothing works like practicing with the real food.

SS: So you hold competitions at home with yourself?

Megatoad: Pretty much, but not completely by myself. I always make sure to have someone on hand that can help me in the case that something bad happens, like my brother or parents.

SS: What do they think of this? Your family?

Megatoad: At first they were timid with the concept, but now that they've seen me become very successful at it, and all the while taking care of myself and doing well in school, they love it and support me. My brother is my official drill sergeant as of now (laughs).

Matt "Megatoad" Stonie with Dave Andelman
SS: That’s nice. All this preparation helped you win your latest competition, the Phantom Gourmet hot dog competition. Was this competition just practice for you?

Megatoad: Yes and no. I took it very seriously as I knew I had no room to mess up, and I was a little bit less daring with how I ate. But at the same time, I knew that I was the high favorite to win, and with the numbers I was putting up in practice, I would win. Regardless of if it were a training run or a qualifier, I would feel no reason for me to hold back. I feel for the sake of progress that everything I do has to be given 100%. Also, in order to solidify a spot right next to Joey Chestnut at Coney Island this year I had to eat over 40 Hot Dogs, so I had to push hard for that.

SS: What is happening at Coney Island?

Megatoad: Coney Island is where the Annual 4th of July Nathans Famous Hot Dog Contest is held. Have you never seen it on ESPN? That’s what the Boston Qualifier was for. It's like the Superbowl of Competitive Eating.

SS: This is all pretty much new to me. MassBytes' writer, Kris Jenson, ate 8 hot dogs, and we thought that was a big deal, then here you are eating 42 hot dogs in ten minutes.

Megatoad: I actually read that thing you did on the Spikes’ record. Those hot dogs are a lot bigger than your average hot dog. Being from the Boston area, I couldn’t pass up that challenge. I actually hold the overall house record at the Boylston location. I think I ate 23 dogs.

SS: 23!? Man, I think I could do 6, but 23? Nope. How is that even possible? Isabella Cake, another MassBytes’ writer, is curious if you unhook your jaw.

6 of the MLE's Finest: Joey Chestnut, Matt "Megatoad" Stonie, Eric Badlands Booker, Sean Brockert and Kevin LAbeast Strahle in West Palm Beach, FL for 2012 TooJay's World Corned Beef Championship
Megatoad: (laughs) No way! If I unhooked my jaw I wouldn’t be able to chew! It's all a matter of training your muscles to accommodate the demand, just like any sport. Running, boxing, tennis. The average human stomach is able to accommodate a max of about 4-6 pounds where as top competitive eaters train for their stomachs to be able to stretch to 20 plus pounds.

SS: Ok, ok, she was joking, but she WAS like holy moly. After a competition where you consume that amount of food, do you crawl in bed for three days, force yourself to get sick, have liposuction? What do you do?

Megatoad: A lot of times you just have to sit the pain that comes from eating that much. That’s how you improve. Just making sure to drink plenty of water to combat the salt, taking it easy for awhile, and once you start feeling better hit the gym. Sometimes though your body just doesn’t like the food and the food has to come up.

Joey Chestnut and Megatoad are neck to neck in the Deep Fried Asparagus Competition
SS: Any tips for future competitors?

Megatoad: Know what you’re up against. Salty is very different then sweet. Greasy is different from dry. Become familiar with the food you are up against and have a game plan. If you decide to prepare and practice for an event or challenge, push yourself to your limits with every run, but also know your limits. You don’t want to knock yourself out. Unfortunately there is no book or scientific stuff on competitive eating you can go to for tips and pointers like other sports, so a lot of this is trial and error to figure out what works.

SS: Well, thank you for your time. Where can people find you? Follow what you are doing?

Megatoad: Well, I do post a lot of stuff onto my Facebook fan page. I also have a Twitter account. To follow my competitive eating and get stuff like that those would be the best. I also have a Youtube account I love to have fun with, where I post up lots of food challenge type stuff including the contest footage I have. I just like to do this for fun. Make sure to check it out! I think out of the three, most people like following my Youtube.

SS: I will definitely check your videos out. Good Luck at Coney Island!




Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MattStonie

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/megatoad

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/MattStonie


Root for Matt "Megatoad" Stonie

Nathan's Famous Frankfurters

International Hot Dog Eating Contest

July 4, 2012 (11:30 and 12noon)

Watch it live on ESPN3

Women's contest at 11:30am / Men's contest at 12noon


MassBytes' Writers Tackles Some Local Food Challenges: Read More

MassBytes: Sign Up For Our Newsletters

No comments:

Post a Comment